Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fulfill the Law of Christ

 Gal 6:1-5[1] 

 Rolling Hills Church 

 26 September 2010

Sometimes it is hard for us to grasp something and put it into practice. It is hard for us to ACT, not just know. We may be able to nod, agree, or understand, but we haven't come to the point of conviction that is OBEDIENCE. This happens in Christianity. This happens in life. How many of us know we need to lose weight, eat better, and exercise? We know how, we've talked about it, maybe even tried it, but – we haven't DONE it. I saw a friend this weekend who has lost 35 lbs. HE saw a picture of himself five years ago alongside of a recent picture, and it stung him; it stung him to ACT, not just KNOW.

That hits close to home in the land of brats and cheese, right? Ouch! But it's a realistic example. Today my sermon is Fulfill the Law of Christ, and it's from Gal 6:1-5. There is that direct element – KNOW but not ACT – very often applied to this particular passage of Scripture. to the message we see from the Scriptures today, church; let's read this text, as today we're in

1 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.

2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

3 For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

4 But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor.

5 For each will have to bear his own load.

Let's pray. The message is the title; fulfill the law of Christ. Seek to mature in your faith and obedience; and seek to help others mature in obedience. When I see brother or sister in sin, I am to gently, humbly restore the brother. I am to help, not condemn; I am to assist, to serve because I love. So let's unpack it a little…

Three commands here:

·      Restore those trapped in sin (remembering it could be us)

·      Bear one another's burdens (and so fulfill the law of Christ)

·      Test your own work (because we will stand before God)

But really, the summary is found with the second one verse 2: Fulfill the law of Christ.

Two truths/warnings to us:

·      We can easily be deceived about our sinfulness

·      We will all bear our own sin before God

That is the simple, direct outline of the text; I want to guide us to think it through by asking a few questions, five to be exact.

1. Can we define who is spiritual? Yes, I think so. Based on the context, it is someone with a good grasp on the gospel of grace that loves his or her fellow believers. Why do I say that? Let me show you…

Gal 1:11-12 For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. Those who have received the gospel as from Christ.

Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Those who live by faith in Christ.

Gal 3:22 But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. Those who believe the promise by faith.

Gal 4:6-7 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God. Those who have received the Holy Spirit by faith, and are heirs with Christ.

Gal 5:13-14 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Those whose freedom in Christ leads them to the law of love, not a law of circumcision or man-made righteousness.

So we get here to chapter six and he says you who are spiritual. A spiritual believer is one who has a grip on the gospel that leads them to walk in the Spirit and love the body. In this church, it would define those who have latched on to the gospel and their grip has not weakened with all this circumcision hullaballoo going around the church. Now…

2. What is a burden? It is a sin that has overtaken a brother or sister (caught in any transgression). They are weak in their faith and obedience right now.

3. What exactly are we supposed to do? Ask them about what you see or hear that concerns you. Pray with and for them. Offer your assistance to them if they need it. We're talking about a brother or sister weighed down with sin, not one reveling in it.

4. How am I supposed to do it? Gently and humbly. Log/Splinters. As if it were you, but for God's good grace.

5. Why me? First because God through this Scripture tells you to.  Second, because of love. Love for Christ, love for His body. Think this way…

This is life and death. This is not a game. What does sin do when it goes unchecked in a church? It brings death. DEATH. But often, when it comes to sin, we do play games in the church.

Responsibility games. It's not my responsibility. Others should do something. Pastor, she's sinning; go fix her.

Relationship games. I don't know him, he's not in my small group, he's not my friend.he might not receive it well.

Rationalize games. Hey, it's not really that bad, right? It's not going to be a big deal. I sin all the time too, so maybe I shouldn't say anything.

What makes us quit playing games and obey God? What makes us approach our brothers and sisters, or help our brothers and sisters?

Love. This is the law of Christ.

John 15:12-13 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

When we see sin bringing shame, pain, loss, coldness, and hardness of heart to a fellow member of the body of Christ and we do nothing, we prove a lack of love for that person. We display a mis-guided sense of pride in our own self.

Responsibility; we are the body of Christ. We are members of one church; we must love enough to do something. I must love enough to do something!!

Church, let us fulfill the law of Christ. Seek to mature in your faith and obedience; and seek to help others mature in obedience. When I see brother or sister in sin, I am to gently, humbly restore the brother.



[1] All Scripture, unless otherwise noted, are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, (via E-Sword Software) © 2001 Crossway Publishing. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment